Thursday 14 February 2013

The "Nu" Bagel shop in Kensington Market

I love going to Kensington Market. It's one of my favourite places to buy food and ingredients. There are a lot of great places that serve amazing food. One of my favourite places I love is Emporium Latino. From the outside it really doesn't look like much but when you go in, you have to walk up these stairs and there are all these mexican spices and canned goods. There is a huge white menu that lists what you can buy and you purchase whatever you'd like to order like pulled pork pupusas or churros or tacos, whatever you'd like. The nice lady will give you a receipt then you walk a bit further into the store where there is a really small kitchen. It has amazing food! I definitely recommend checking it out! EMPORIUM LATINO. Anyways that wasn't the point of this blog post!

I walk around Kensington Market a lot because it has such great foods and offerings. There is a new bagel shop that opened, it's called "Nu Bugel" located at 240 Augusta Ave. Toronto ON. I was interested in this place because of the huge orange colouring all over the building and the cool looking sign.  Also before it opened it had this huge stack of logs in the front and I thought hmm they probably bake the bagels in a wood burning oven! AND THEY DO! I checked this place out last week. You could definitely tell they have been opened for a little bit as you can notice the little hussle and bussle of the employees and slight miscommunication amongst them. However the bagels here are amazing.


 Behind this guy is a huge blackboard. They have everything you could possibly want to order listed. I bought half a dozen bagels for $5 plus taxes. If you want a bagel with cream cheese like I did you have to pay an extra $1. If you want to get the bagels fresh you should probably get it first thing when they open. However if you can't make it for the morning the afternoon ones are still just as good just toast them alittle bit if you like your bagel toasted. While the nice lady employee was spreading cream cheese on my bagel she informed me that they make the cream cheese in house and they sell it by the tub so I thought you know what I gotta support them! I love cream cheese but I love the fact that they make it in house even more! I was alittle disappointed to find that the meats that they have for the sandwiches and fish were not made in house.


You could also order a coffee or salad. They have a nice seating area right in front of where the bagels are stacked.

I suggest trying all of the bagels I really like the sesame toasted bagel casue you get a nice nutty ness of the toasted sesame seeds and the amazing hint of sweetness in the bagel. The everything bagel has both sesame seeds and popppy seeds but it also has coarse salt and fennel seeds. The true test of whether or not a place can make a good bagel is trying it plain with cream cheese which is what I had. The first time I had a really good bagel was at St.Urbain at the St.Lawrence market. It's a tad far to get to from where I live but luckily for me I have Nu Bugel close by!

They are closed on Mondays but are opened from Tuesday - Saturday from 11am-6pm. I definitely recommend checking this place out! Support your local bakers!


KMW

No comments:

Post a Comment